Holmes v. Walton: Case Files
NOTE: Ellipses in these transcriptions indicate either missing words or
words that could not be made out by this transcriber. Square brackets
indicate uncertain readings. The transcription shows
language struck through in the original, but does not attempt to show
the interlineal or marginal position of inserted language. -P.Ax.
New Jersey Supreme Court Case Files, at New Jersey State Archives
- Reasons &c, filed Nov. 1779.
Three pages, containing six numbered paragraphs.
- Additional Reasons, filed Nov. 1779.
One page, containing four paragraphs.
- Reasons in Arrest of the judgment in the
new trial. Two pages, containing nine re-numbered paragraphs.
- Inferior Court of Common Pleas, Monmouth County,
Certification to Supreme Court, with Apr.25, 1781 writ to Sheriff. On separate page:
excerpts from minutes of court, July 25, 1781 and Oct. 1781.
- State of Facts sur Trial &c &c.
Eleven pages, with testimony of witnesses arranged by Roman numerals. Though undated,
this is evidently a compilation of the testimony at the new trial, because it
refers to the first one as "the former trial."
- State of Facts, Affidavits, &c, returnable
Sept. Term 1781. One page, containing introductory paragraph and four numbered
paragraphs (paragraph 1 mostly missing). Final paragraph in different hand
- Writ of Certiorari, May 12, 1781
- Certiorari and Return, Sept. 1, 1781,
listing twelve jurors and seven witnesses, and recording verdict and judgment
given at July 1781 trial.
- fragment re Phebe Ketcham
- fragment re John James
- Affidavit of Andrew Bowne, on New Trial in Seizure,
May 30, 1782
- Affidavit of Elias Covenhoven, on New Trial, May 1782.
- Additional Evidence taken before Commissioner Craig,
Jan. 27, 1783. Five pages, consisting of two affidavits (one of four jurors; the other of Peter Smith, William
Morrison, & Jonathan Forman).
- Evidence of Andrew Bowne, in Seizure, taken Jan. 29, 1783.
- Writ of Habeas Corpus, May 14, 1783
Documents at Monmouth County Archives
- Capias Corpus for debt of £20,000, April 29, 1779 (Walton v. Holmes)
- Capias Corpus for debt of £20,000, April 29, 1779 (Wikoff v. Holmes & Ketcham)
- Plea for £20,000, January(?) 3, 1780 (Wikoff qui tam. v. Holmes & Ketcham)
- Plea in Abatement by Elisha Walton, July 25, 1780 (against Wikoff's qui tam plea)
- Capias for debt of £29,428:13:4½, April 25, 1781 (Walton v. Holmes & Ketcham)